Re: tlug: Electronic Book Readers for Lignux

tlug note from craig@example.com

> tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
>
>   I was just grepping through my archives of tlug for mention of
> EB readers.  There seemed to be a brief (and inconclusive) thread
> in April.

Dennis,
you've hit upon a subject that I would like more information on
too!  I was reading about the electronic book in Linux
入門 and wanted to give it a try.  I've been searching for the
Kenkyusha CDs.  Where does one purchase these?  My assumption
is that they are commercial products.  I've recently purchased
an electronic book in Voyager format with about 100 stories on
it from the Meiji era.  I can listen to the audio with xanim
because it is in QuickTime format.  I can also access most of the
texts because there is a ShiftJis version of the files.   However,
there are also some ebk format files that I can't access.

Linux 入門 concentrates on the use of eldic.el which is a macro
that allows the use of dic within mule.    It says that dserver
and dic are the most common tools to access "電子ブック版辞書
(研究社の新英和・和英中辞典)
It doesn't mention whether or not the programs can access
other dictionaries.

Accessing the dictionaries would be interesting.  Accessing the
ebk files might help my language study.  There was another
book at the store that had contemporary stories.  Those Meiji
dudes like Natsume Soseki do make me think, but sometimes they
get too deep.  Also, the Japanese is harder in the older
stories.

Regards,
Craig