tlug: Electronic Book Readers for Lignux

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
  Hi All,

  I was just grepping through my archives of tlug for mention of
EB readers.  There seemed to be a brief (and inconclusive) thread
in April.

  In those postings two programs were mentioned, dserver-2.0 and
'dic' (isn't the latter a clever name, eh?  On my machine 'locate
dic' returns over three hundred lines! - maybe it should be renamed
"mydick" or something a little more distinctive).

  According to Jim Breen, 'dic' "seemed to be hard-wired to a SCSI
drive", and so would not be of interest to me.  A.Tomita,Jr. said he
had dserver running on a SPARCstation, but added that it may not be
able to read EBs other than the Kenkyusha J-E/E-J dictionaries.

  Jim Breen wrote somewhat later "I now have the .tar.gz files of 2.1
and 2.2 beta, so I'll try them out".  I presume he meant 2.1 and 2.2 of
dserver, but that appears to be the last we heard of EB readers on the
list.

  I just found out that there was an EB version of Iwanami's
"Bukkyou Jiten" [仏教辞典], which I would like to be able to use.
Although nothing will ever replace the olfactory delights of
browsing a dusty, musty copy of, say, J. Batchelor's 1938 "An
Ainu-Japanese-English Dictionary", EB dictionaries do have their
place, I suppose.

  So what's the latest on using these under Lignux?

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka