Re: tlug: What's wrong with Microsoft?

tlug note from "Alan B. Stone" <stoneab@example.com>
Philip Jarvis wrote:

> tlug note from Philip Jarvis <jarvis@example.com>
> Dear Jim & Everybody:
>
> Jim Schweizer wrote:
> > ps Pointcast (and my scanner) are the only things keeping me
> > tied to Windoze - I really should work on the scanner... anyone
>
> Are these really the ONLY things keeping you tied to Microsoft?!
>
> Let me begin by saying that I'm a recent Linux convert and wish
> it would displace MS in the marketplace.  However, I've yet to
> see any evidence that it can do it.  It seems to me
> that the biggest things helping Microsoft are its general purpose
> applications.
>
> If we're going to proselytize to all the Wintel pagans out there,
> we've got to make Linux sound appealing.  Certainly you can't
> beat it's price.  But what about usefulness?  When I need to write
> a report, I fire up ol' Win95 and use Word.
>
> What ARE people using for a word processor?  For that matter,
> what does Linux (or ANY UNIX box for that matter) have that can match
> MS Word.  LaTex?  Spare me.  The only serious contender I've come
> across is a UNIX version of WordPerfect. But that carried a pretty
> steep price tag and its functionality didn't justify the premium.
>
> How about a spreadsheet?  Anything to compare with Excel?  Is there
> ANYTHING that can compete with Microsoft applications?
>
> I'm asking these questions in all seriousness.  Microsoft's strength
> lies in more than just its marketing department.  If there were
> some reasonably priced, supported, AND easy-to-use applications
> that could run under Linux, I'd be happy to wipe that DOS
> partition off my hard drive and would try to get my officemates
> to switch.  I'm not holding my breath though.
>
> Yoroshiku,
> Phil
>
> --
> Philip Jarvis
> Japan Marine Science & Technology Center
> 2-15 Natsushima
> Yokosuka 237 JAPAN
>
> jarvis@example.com
> phone: 81-468-67-5564
> fax: 81-468-66-5541
> Public-Access Internet System.  Now offering 20,000 yen/year flat
> rate Internet access with no time charges.  Full line of corporate
> Internet and intranet products are available.   info@example.com
> Tel: 03-3351-5977   Fax: 03-3353-6096

Mr. Jarvis,

I too am a recent Linux convert, and I disagree with you on the
availability of fine products for Linux.  I recently purchased
Applixware (which I might note runs on several UNIX platforms), and not
only can I work with Word documents, but several other popular word
processing formats.  This is not the only product available, let's
see...Papyrus, which is a fine program written by a graduate student in
France - and it's free, Lyx which works well and is free.  Then there is
Framemaker by Adobe...the list goes on.

As for comparable products to Exel, Powerpoint, etc..., you should check
out Applixware.  Taking into account the prices of these
packages...let's see RedHat 4.1 ran me roughly $50 including shipping,
and the Applixware package runs $199 for the Office Suite.  Now if I add
that up I'm roughly at $250.  When I first purchased Win95 I paid $129
for the complete version for PCs without Windows.  I could go
on...Office 97 big bucks, or let's get real serious, WinNT 4.0
Workstation, out of the ballpark.

Linux is a fine operating system like many others.  Spending every
waking hour trying to convert people like it was some type of religion
is useless.  People will purchase what they feel comfortable with, and
usually what get's the most advertisement on television.

The biggest problem I see facing Linux users is that the products are
out there, but the advertising is usually by word of mouth, or only via
Linux based publications that only Linux users would read.  To become a
viable product in the market place, someone (RedHat, Caldera, etc) needs
to get serious and put out the word.  I'm seeing it little by little
everyday.

I don't mean this to be a flamming email, but if I may suggest as one
new Linux user to another...I would recommend a little more indepth
study via the Internet, or a popular Unix magazine, and I think you will
be slightly surprised at what you will find.

That said, I think everyone would agree, Linux is not really about cost
or money, it's about the freedom of choice, and the ability to develop
and change any time you like.

Here's the link to Applix - http://www.applix.com/ I think you'll like
it.

This email isn't meant to be a flammer (as someone once told me).  I
hope you find your experiences with Linux as learning, exciting, and
rewarding as I have.

Sincerely,

Alan B. Stone
Senior Technical Representative
Communications Technology Research Activity - Japan
Email:  stoneab@example.com
Auburn University, Alabama
Email:  stoneab@example.com