tlug: What's Microsoft?

tlug note from joem <root@example.com>

> tlug note from Philip Jarvis <jarvis@example.com>
>
> What ARE people using for a word processor?  For that matter,
> what does Linux (or ANY UNIX box for that matter) have that can match
> MS Word.  LaTex?  Spare me.  The only serious contender I've come
> across is a UNIX version of WordPerfect. But that carried a pretty
> steep price tag and its functionality didn't justify the premium.
>
> How about a spreadsheet?  Anything to compare with Excel?  Is there
> ANYTHING that can compete with Microsoft applications?

Hi Phil,

For what it's worth, I can avoid going into M$ software most of the week.
I occasionally have to check cc:Mail in NT, since our counterparts
don't have e-mail yet.  That's it.

Applix has a good spreadsheet, and it's wordprocessor functions
well enough to use without too much fuss.  There are alternatives
to Applix as well, like StarOffice.

Everyone's needs are different, and linux is good enough for me.
I just wonder if I'm good enough for it ; ).