tlug: OpenLinux

tlug note from "A.Tomita,Jr." <Alberto@example.com>
In message <m0wd9VV-000Hf7C@example.com> you wrote:
> We then tried to install Caldera Open Linux on John Little's
> Compaq server with a 6 disk IDE disk array.  Unfortunately,
> the installation bogged down.  However, we did learn that
> Caldera Open Linux is in Red Hat Package Manager format and
> Alberto commented that it was almost the same as the Red Hat
> distribution.  CDs were passed out and a few members mentioned
> that they would try to do an install and tell everyone how it
> went.

I have just succeeded in installing the Caldera desktop in my machine,
over a RedHat installation (we had tried to do this during the last
meeting, but didn't know which packages were necessary).

Those who grabbed the OpenLinux Lite CD-ROM, here's the recipe:

	1) open the Redhat package management tool (glint)
	2) configure it to point to /cdrom/col/install/xappl1
	3) install these three packages:
		lg-eval-1.05-2.i386.rpm
		lg-pg-1.0-5.i386.rpm
		lg-rules-1.1-1.i386.rpm
	4) if you login as root, just launch "lg"
	   the configuration files are under /root/lg

LG is the Looking Glass Desktop interface. The version included
in the CD-ROM is a 90-days evaluation version.

Another highlight of this distribution is the CRISP LITE, a graphical
text editor, but I didn't install it yet.

---
Alberto Tomita, Jr.            http://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alberto
Yokohama National University       e-mail: alberto@example.com