Re: tlug: Hot Java on Sparc?

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> tlug note from Jim Tittsler <jwt@example.com>
> Does the Hot Java browser run on a SparcLinux machine?

Hot Java requires the JDK or at least the run-time.  If
there is no Java virtual machine, the Hot Java browser
will not run.

Even if you get the JDK installed, perhaps by using the
Sun libs, there is still the problem of the 1 bit graphics.

Under Solaris with 1 bit graphics, I can't display any
Java that uses the AWT.  Gif files come up using xv or
Netscape, but I can't get anything to appear with the
Java AWT.   This is kind of a problem for me since my
wife is using the Intel machine a lot and I'm stuck
between using SparcLinux/SparcSolaris on a monochrome
or Motorola60840-Mac OS with lots of colors but low
stability.   I'm sacrificing the colors for stability.
I'd be really interested if someone got Java working
on 1 bit graphics Sparc architecture.  Perhaps it is some simple
configuration setting??? (hoping).

Regards,
Craig