Re: gs and meeting stuff at end [was Re: tlug: "L. Peter Deutsch": Announcing the release of Aladdin Ghostscript 5.0]

tlug note from jwb@example.com (Jim Breen)
On Jun 10,  4:50pm, Craig Oda wrote:
} Subject: gs and meeting stuff at end [was Re: tlug: "L. Peter Deutsch": An

>> For people interested, I've defined 5 distinct ways to enable
>> a Linux system to print Japanese.
>>
>>   1) GhostScript 4.03 standard with the Virtual Font library[snip]
>>   2) GhostScript 4.03 with source patch for Virtual Font Library[snip]
>>   3) GhostScript 4.03 with free Wada PostScript fonts from $BElBg(B[snip]
>>   4) The 2.x GhostScript that comes with the JE distribution[snip]
>>   5) CNPrint[snip]

And just to be really strange, I use a 6th.

I use "jemtex", which is a combination of a front-end utility that
converts jis x 0208 characters into TeX font calls, and a heap of font
files which are made up of the 24x24 bitmapped ex-.bdf font turned into
pseudo metafonts.

Good points: simple to install & run, uses vanilla non-Japanese latex,
dvips, gs, etc.

Bad points: not super-high quality, only one font available. (I find the
quality quite acceptable.)

One of my must-do's is to modify the utilities to handle alternative font
files (I have asiya24 and heisei24) and to handle jis x 0212.

--
Jim Breen                            Department of Digital Systems
Email: j.breen@example.com                 Monash University