Re: tlug: smail aliasing host configuration

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Craig> I've recently started using smail locally instead of
    Craig> relying totally on the SMTP server at my ISP.  I'm trying
    Craig> to alias my local cow.farm.twics.com domain to twics.com so
    Craig> that any mail sent from cow.farm.twics.com will appear that
    Craig> it is sent from twics.com.

>From the Smail 1.3.29.1 man page smail(5):

       visible_name
              type: string
              default value: computed at run time
              The  full  domain  name  used  in   outgoing   mail
              addresses within header fields.  If visible_name is
              turned off, then it will be set to the  first  name
              from  the  hostnames  attribute.   If the hostnames
              attribute is not specified then that attribute will
              be  filled  in  with  hostnames  of  the form host-
              name.domain, where hostname is derived in a system-
              dependent  manner  and  where  domain, here, is one
              name from the domains list attribute.   Each  entry
              in  the  domains list is used, in order, to created
              the hostnames value.

This goes in your config file, possibly in /etc/smail or
/usr/lib/smail as

visible_name=twics.com

(you can cut & paste that :-)  I don't know whether Smail rewrites
>From headers, or if in the presence of an existing from header it will
add a sender header.  So you may need to watch out for some MUAs that
add or permit adding from headers (eg, most emacs-based MUAs).

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi