Re: tlug: XEmacs and Kanji detection

tlug note from Jason Molenda <crash@example.com>
I've really not wanted to wade in to this discussion because I don't
know the first thing about emacs, BUT I think this is all being made a
lot harder than it should be.

I built XEmacs 20.2 with these options:

configure  --with-gnu-make --with-jpeg --with-png --with-sound=native
           --with-xpm --with-xface --with-mule --prefix=/usr/local/net

I configured it to default to Japanese by clicking on
Options...Language Environment...Japanese and then Options...Save
Options.  Now when I start up XEmacs, it says "EUC/Ja" in the lower
left hand corner of the window.

I just started up w3 (Apps...Browse The Web) and brought up
http://www.cygnus.co.jp which is a content-type iso-2022-jp.  Plus, the
.jpg image in there is displayed just fine for me.

I installed SEMI (ftp://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/GNU/elisp/mime/alpha/),
added the (load "mime-setup") command to my $HOME/.emacs file like the
SEMI documentation says to do, and I can read Japanese newsgroups with
Gnus no problem.

I like SKK, and it doesn't look like SKK likes XEmacs 20.2, so I'm
still keeping my mule binary around for when I write Japanese.  But SKK
users are in the minority, so I'm not surprised that it didn't work
straightaway.

I don't have any LANG or LANGUAGE or anything set.

> Re: w3.el.  I'm _not_ getting Japanese on the Mule homepage (the top
> page is OK, since all the Japanese is in GIFs, but
> http://www.etl.go.jp/Research/mulepage/MuleJapanese.html bombs).  I

It doesn't bomb for me, but I only get mojibake.

I don't use w3.el (don't like emacs :-), so I don't know how useful it
is in general.

Jason