Re: tlug: kinput2 vs. egg

tlug note from "A.Tomita,Jr." <Alberto@example.com>
In message <m0wYKTC-000HdcC@example.com> you wrote:
> tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
> thanks for the tip on this.  I was too lazy to find the keycode for
> that funny square key with the cross through it.  Is there any
> way to call up a program that tells me what the keycode is just
> by pressing the key?  Anyway, I've mapped that key to the Meta_L
> key so that I can type in Emacs faster and still use the Alt_L
> key for stuff like calling the menus up in afterstep.

There is a utility called showkey. Here's the description:

       showkey prints to standard output either the scan codes or
       the keycode of each key pressed. The program runs until 10
       seconds has elapsed since the last key  press  or  release
       event,  or  until  it  receives  a  suitable  signal, like
       SIGTERM, from another process.

It is part of the kbd package (kbd-0.91.tar.gz).

---
Alberto Tomita, Jr.            http://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alberto
Yokohama National University       e-mail: alberto@example.com