Re: tlug: Launching programs from fvwm menus

tlug note from "Alan B. Stone" <stoneab@example.com>
Craig Oda wrote:

> tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
> From: Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
> Subject: tlug: Launching programs from fvwm menus
> Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 20:30:48 +0900 (JST)
>

> >   Speaking of window managers, has anyone tried the AfterStep 1.0
> > window manager just released?  It compiles and installs cleanly on
> > my Slackware 3.1 installation.  I loathe the Windoze95 window frames,
> > but it does look interesting ( http://afterstep.edoc.com ).
>
> Dennis,
> I've recently started using it and have found that it does have
> some advantages: window shade on all windows, popout horizontal wharf,
> retractable vertical wharf, good icon set, nice clock, wharf can
> swallow pager, nice background images, good selection on mouse
> buttons (same as fvwm), enlarge covers entire screen - but leaves
> wharf visible.
>
> I've created a seperate account on my machine so that I can test it
> out when I am in the artistic mood.  I've also installed offix-files, gimp,
> xv, the extra icon set and a whole lot of other things.  It's pretty
> neat.  The two things that I can't do are: get the top wharf folder to
> display an icon, and get XEmacs to display Japanese properly.
>
> My main account is still 9wm.  I keep thinking that I'm going to get
> bored of it soon and switch to afterstep as my main window manager,
> but I've found it to be quite versatile.

> Public-Access Internet System.  Now offering 20,000 yen/year flat
> rate Internet access with no time charges.  Full line of corporate
> Internet and intranet products are available.   info@example.com
> Tel: 03-3351-5977   Fax: 03-3353-6096

I have been using AfterStep for some time now, and I like it.  I too had
the problem with the top icon, and found out that it was because of my
XF86config file.  If you do not have your monitor set to 16bpp then the
icon will not show up.  However, you can do two things to remedy this,
1) change the icon reference in the .steprc file to read AfterStep.xpm,
or you can download the 8bit icons from any Linux site (ftp.redhat.com
has them).  I read somewhere that if you have chosen multiple
resolutions in your XF86config file, that due to a bug, it will not work
correctly.  I change mine, and the icon showed up.  There are some great
sites out there that have many of the NeXt icons sets that work with
AfterStep, in case anyone is interested.

I find myself playing with the popout folders on the Wharf.

Anyway, this may help.

Blaine