tlug: fetchmail

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
Hi,
I've been trying to use fetchmail versions 3.9 and 3.8 on a
Linux machine running smail 3.2 that is connected over a dialup
ISDN connection with a fixed IP and fully qualified domain name.

I have an almost identical setup connected to ethernet.  The
main difference is that the one on the ethernet is working
with fetchmail with the same mail servers.

The problem machine is cow.farm.twics.com.  I can send e-mail
directly to craig@example.com and can telnet to port
25 and manually do the send to:  data  .   commands to send
myself mail.  I can also send mail out from cow to the Internet.

I have tried using both IMAP and POP3 protocols to a known
mail server that is functional.

Verbose mode of fetchmail seems to indicate that all is genki:

#*************************.*****
1> fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
2> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 OAA17531 Message accepted for delivery
3> fetchmail: IMAP< )
4>  not flushed
5> fetchmail: IMAP> a0019 FETCH 16 RFC822
6> fetchmail: IMAP< a0018 OK FETCH completed
7> fetchmail: IMAP< * 16 FETCH (RFC822 {3114}
8> reading message 16 (3114 bytes)
9> fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<owner-tlug@example.com> SIZE=3114
10> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <owner-tlug@example.com>... Sender ok
11> fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<craig>
12> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <craig>... Recipient ok
13> fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
14> fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
#************************.**********************

Line 4 of the log is not flushed because I am keeping the mail
on the remote server.   Line 8 appears to indicate that the IMAP
protocol sucked in the data.  Lines 9-13 seem to indicate that
it is doing successful id transmission using SMTP.  Line 14 seems
to indicate that data is being sent and that the final period
ended the transmission.

The only problem is that there is no mail is my /var/spool/mail
directory.

Any thoughts on why this is so?

Regards,
Craig