Re: tlug: Building a better beast: binutils 2.8 and 3Com 3C90x 'Boomerang' (adding a new driver to the kernel config)

tlug note from Christopher Wiles <wileyc@example.com>
On Fri, 30 May 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Publicity is nice, documentation is required.  :-(

It's documented in Documentation/CHANGES in the 2.1.xx series kernels.
It should (but is not) also be in 2.0 ...

> Does he do stuff like that a lot?  I guess that's one way to make sure
> you're essential!

Yeah.  Remember when struct dirent changed in libc.so.5.2.18?  The change
that broke GNU-make binaries?  His change.  Something like that should
necessitate bumping up the major version number ...

... the guy had a reputation for making half-assed releases.  Damned near
impossible to compile libc yourself, because often he'd forget to tar up
*entire* *directories*.  Instead of documenting how to build libg++ as a
shared library, his release notes said something along the lines of "I
don't recommend you compile this yourself -- I don't want to tell you how
I did it.  Use my binary."

Thank GOD for glibc-2.0.  Now HJ isn't controlling Linux libc.

(Oh, yeah, I attended university with him, too)

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)