tlug: Linux as Proxy Server

tlug note from LNJPTYO1.MDARCY01@example.com

Was hoping if someone had any experience or could possibly point me in the
right direction on how to
go about setting up a LINUX box as a proxy server or gateway to the Internet
via a dial-up PPP connection.

The LAN would be using TCP/IP with a bogus IP network address. When one of the
clients trys to connect to a
valid internet address (i.e. www.sun.com) the LINUX server dials-out and acts
like a proxy. When there is no activity for a specified
time it drops the connection.

Any suggestions or hints would be appreciated.
,

+-----------+----------------+--------------+-----------------+
       |            |              |                 |
 +-----+------+   +-----------+  +------------+    +------------+
 |            |   |           |  |            |    |            |
      |   Win 95   |   |   Win 95  |  | Macintosh  |    |   LINUX    |
      |            |   |           |  |            |    |            |
 +-----+------+   +-----------+  +------------+    +------------+

                                                         Dial-Up Internet
Access (PPP)

Mark A. D'Arcy
Electronic Data Systems, Ltd.
C/O General Motors Japan, Ltd.
Yebisu Garden Place Tower, 27th Floor
4-20-3 Ebisu, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150 JAPAN

Tel:  +81-3-5424-2833
Fax: +81-3-5425-2689

E-Mail: mad@example.com