Re: tlug: Canna and looking for other comments on a new install

tlug note from Steve Dunham <dunham@example.com>
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

> I would suggest _not_ doing this, because XIM support in XEmacs 20.2
> is not stable.  You could create the XEmacs+Canna package, but this
> has the disadvantage of promoting disunity in the user interface.

Well, there is no disunity of user interface if you work entirely
inside XEmacs... :)

> Crap.  I already have three copies of the Wadalab files, the
> originals, one for m2ps output, and one for NTT JTeX output.  Do you
> mean I need another for the munged encoding that Netscrap outputs?
> (What the hell is that, anyway?  Unicode?  It doesn't seem to be JIS,
> SJIS, or EUC.)  Why not just create an appropriate encoding translator
> and only have one set of Wadalab fonts?  (This is on the agenda for
> the NTT fonts, maybe; I'm looking at CJK and Omega, and wondering if
> it's worth it.)

Apparently, it's a SJIS, one-big-font encoding. (It uses
/Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H on Linux.) The fonts are just the output of
"wdtopfa" (the ones that end in .r??) with a small driver file. The
driver file makes both EUC and SJIS encodings available.

The script follows the instructions by Andrew Howell on Craig's page.
(except it uses the "wftopfa" that comes with ghostscript).  Most
likely this is the same font that you use for m2ps.

I also have three copies.  The originals; the ones for ghostscript
(which basically form a huge, but dynamically loaded /Ryumin-Light
font); and the ones for TeX.

For TeX, I've settled with CJK (I don't like using customized TeX
binaries), using the wadalab fonts converted according to your
instructions.  (i.e. "dmjhira.pfa", etc.)

But I have xdvi and dvips automatically call"gsftopk" to generate
600dpi bitmaps from .pfa fonts. (Unlike ps2pk, gsftopk gets the
baselines right.)  The reason I do this is that dvips was having
problems doing partial font downloading.  The bitmaps make for
reasonable sized .ps files.

The xdvi views are fast and very readable (because of anti-aliasing).

(I couldn't figure out how to get TeX to use the monolithic postscript
font without resorting to jTeX and dvi2psj.)

Steve
dunham@example.com