Re: tlug: Font problem

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Karthik> Hello, Iam trying to get the display of KTERM in a
    Karthik> Windows 95-Japanese Machine where I run my X-Server . I
    Karthik> get a warning on startup of kterm saying.
    Karthik> "unable to open font "" , trying fixed"

This seems to be a bug in kterm; it shouldn't try to open "".

    Karthik> This happens irrespective of the font I specify in the
    Karthik> command line option .Iam running a font server (xfs) on
    Karthik> the Linux Machine . On my Windows 95 machine I connect to
    Karthik> this Font Server through a specified port.

Check that the connection is properly specified using "xset q" and
looking under the "Fontpath:" header.  If everything looks OK but
there are directories as well as the font server in the font path, try
deleting the directories from the font path.  Warning: if the font
server is in fact not working, you will possibly have to kill and
restart the X server once you have done that.  (Doing "xset fp
default" should recover, but I've never tried such a thing.)

    Karthik> This "trying fixed" warning comes when I start Xterm also
    Karthik> specifying the fl option for the desired font.

    Karthik> for example when I start KTERM with the following option
    Karthik> kterm -display -fl \

This should produce a "unknown display: '-fl'" error message.

    Karthik>     -hp-gothic-medium-r-normal--14-*-c-*-jisx0201.1976-0

    Karthik> any other font for that matter which is there ib my
    Karthik> Xserver, I get the warning message .

And you should.  The -fl switch wants a fontlist in which fonts for
the character sets ISO-8859-1, JIS-X-0201.1976, and JIS-X-0208.1990
are each available.  The fontlist that you gave will choke on the
kanji; the hardcoded default font "fixed" will exist and will permit
display of ASCII.

    Karthik> I tried Xfontsel , Xlsfonts and Xfd . Xlsfonts is able to
    Karthik> display all the "hp" fonts when I specify the pattern
    Karthik> "*hp*.

Where did you get -hp-* fonts for Linux?  There aren't any in the
standard distribution.  Are you sure xlsfonts isn't finding them on
the Win95 host?

    Karthik> $ xfd -display \
    Karthik>       -fn -hp-gothic-medium-r-normal--14-*-c-*-jisx0201.1976-0

    Karthik> output: Warning: Cannot convert string
    Karthik> "-hp-gothic-medium-r-normal--14-*-c-*-jisx0201.1976-0" to
    Karthik> type FontStruct xfd: no font to display

This could be, as Jim Breen suggests, because your X server doesn't
handle 16-bit fonts.  I think this is unlikely, since it should be
based on at least X11R5 and probably is X11R6.  Also, you claim to
have gotten the fonts in your X server's native format, so....
xfontsel should have the same problem as xfd in this case.  But you
should check it.  (Especially if you're part of a team that is
implementing a new X server ;-)

    Karthik> I have run mkfontdir on all the subdirectories .

After running mkfontdir you need to do "xset fp rehash" or restart the
X server.  In the case of the font server, you should do a "kill
-SIGUSR1" or a "kill -SIGHUP" or restart it.

Do you have an X server installed on Linux?  Is it running?  Try using
the font server with that X server.  Try killing the Linux X server
and setting DISPLAY=win95:0 (or whatever the right thing is) and doing
the X utilities.  Are the X utilities installed on the Win95 box?  Do
they work from there?

HTH

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi