Re: tlug: DeskJet 560J + ps

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Jim> Can somebody point me in the right direction for printing ps
    Jim> on a HP Deskjet 560J. I've been trying to hack a solution
    Jim> from a 520 printcap file but have had no luck.

For those of you trying to use Ghostscript but suffering under Craig's
(-: draconian restrictions :-) on message length on TLUG,
Ghostscript's "devs.mak" which gives the supported devices and lots of
other good info about Ghostscript printer drivers is now available at

http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/public-ftp/linux/packages/Text/devs.mak
   ftp://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/pub/linux/packages/Text/devs.mak

BTW, release of Ghostscript 5.0 under the restrictive Aladdin license
looks to be imminent; the less restrictively licensed GNU Ghostscript
will move up to 4.03 or 4.51 or something.

    Jim> In the printcap I've tried:

    Jim> psjet:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/psjet:if=/usr/local/bin/psjet
    Jim> filter:sh

    Jim> where the psjetfilter is:

    Jim> /usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=deskjet \
                                                   ^^^^^^^
    Jim>                -sOutputFile=- -
    Jim> and I'm not sure what goes there. From Ghostview selecting
    Jim> psjet as the printer results in total spewage.

-sDEVICE=cdj550

(1) Ask Ghostscript what devices it supports:  gs -h
(2) If "cdj550" is there, you're in.  If not, get the source and
    compile it in.  GS supports Linux well, so it should be trivial,
    just add "cdj550.dev" to one of the DEVICE_DEVS macro definitions
    in "gcc-head.mak", run "tar_cat" at the Unix prompt, and "make".
    Get coffee, relax, and test gs when done.

    Having said "it's trivial," the only way to prevent this process
    from destroying your machine and causing a Richter 8.0 in Tokyo
    Chuo-ku is to offer technical support and hand-holding, which I
    forwith do.  mailto: turnbull@example.com :-)

I can't guarantee this will work with a "J" version, but it should
:-/.

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi