Re: tlug: Symbol Input in Mule+Wnn+Egg

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Steve> Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com> writes:

    >> Just a very quick question: I only just noticed that the symbol
    >> input in Mule+Wnn+Egg doesn't work the way my
    >> (otherwise-reliable) reference [UNIX 日本語環境 ] tells me it
    >> should.  C-^ is supposed to bring up a dialogue in the
    >> minibuffer that gives you a variety of choices of input.  But
    >> it doesn't seem to.  Nothing else I've tried works.

This does not work in Fence mode, but does work in nihongo normal mode
on SunOS 4.1.3-JLE1.1.3 with Mule 2.2 "Wakamurasaki".  I don't have
Wnn installed on linux, so I can't test it.

Try C-H k C-^ in Mule and see if (a) it's defined (b) your terminal is
generating the correct keysym.

In Canna-Mule, the Insert key brings up  menu, and this works in
kterm-XIM-kinput2-Canna as well.  Try that.

Try M-: "(featurep egg)" (or M-ESC if you have Emacs 19.28 or
previous) and see if EGG is actually being loaded from the .el file.

    Steve> Hmm, works for me: ◯♭ Does the normal Egg stuff work?
    Steve> (C-\)

    Steve> Thanks for the tip, BTW, I was wondering how to enter: ・瘢雹

C-\ "ten" SPC RET works on Canna (as does "yuubin" henkan); as usual
the Wnn server on SunkOS refuses to talk to my Mule, so I can't test
it there.

    >> I even tried doing the symbol input in jvim+Wnn+kinput2, where
    >> Shift-Esc is supposed to bring up symbol input mode.  That
    >> failed too, suggesting perhaps a wider problem in (?) Wnn.

    Steve> Works with kterm+Wnn+kinput2 for me too.

    Steve> So it isn't a Wnn problem.

Could be a JE problem, though---you're a Debian kinda guy, right,
Steve?  Are you using JE, Dennis (I think you mentioned Slackware is
your base distribution)?

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi