Re: tlug: Canna and looking for other comments on a new install

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Steve> "C. Oda" <craig@example.com> writes:

    >> o Install Canna from Debian-JP 1.3 bo.  o Compile Xemacs 20.x
    >> from source with canna support and then create a debian
    >> package.  Does this exist already?  If this is successful,
    >> attempt to compile with xim support and use kinput2

    Steve> No package yet, I don't know if it is worth it.  My XEmacs
    Steve> 20 is in /usr/local and I upgrade often enough that I
    Steve> didn't want to go to the trouble of packaging it.

I would suggest _not_ doing this, because XIM support in XEmacs 20.2
is not stable.  You could create the XEmacs+Canna package, but this
has the disadvantage of promoting disunity in the user interface.

    >> o install JDK 1.1.1 and adjust font.properties to support
    >> Japanese.

    Steve> Is there any way to override font.properties without root
    Steve> access?

Does this work at all, root access or not?  I couldn't get it to work
under Linux.  The locals report not being able to get it to work on
the Suns either, so we may all be missing something trivial.

    Steve> The attached script (assuming the mailing list doesn't
    Steve> munge MIME messages) will take the wadalab fonts and
    Steve> generate the necessary postscript fonts to print to
    Steve> ghostscript from Netscape. (It will also generate the
    Steve> Fontmap file that ghostscript needs.)

    Steve> It only generates the files (which take up 12MB) and prints
    Steve> installation instructions when it is done.  The script will
    Steve> tell you where to get the fonts.  (They are on your side of
    Steve> the ocean.)

Crap.  I already have three copies of the Wadalab files, the
originals, one for m2ps output, and one for NTT JTeX output.  Do you
mean I need another for the munged encoding that Netscrap outputs?
(What the hell is that, anyway?  Unicode?  It doesn't seem to be JIS,
SJIS, or EUC.)  Why not just create an appropriate encoding translator
and only have one set of Wadalab fonts?  (This is on the agenda for
the NTT fonts, maybe; I'm looking at CJK and Omega, and wondering if
it's worth it.)

Steve T.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi