Re: tlug: Canna and looking for other comments on a new install

"C. Oda" <craig@example.com> writes:

> So, this is my current plan:

>   o  Install Debian Hamm (1.4?) base system.

Use bo. Don't use hamm yet.

Using hamm is asking for trouble.  You shouldn't touch it for a while
unless you either:

  1) don't compile stuff yourself
or
  2) have a lot of time to waste and want to recompile everything
   yourself

hamm is transitioning from libc5 to libc6.  So you will need new
versions of most shared libraries to compile stuff. But a lot of the
libraries aren't quite available yet, so you would have to rebuild a
lot of packages yourself (like X) or wait a while before you can
compile stuff.  - Compiling X is a good learning experience, but not
everybody has the time.

>   o  Install Canna from Debian-JP 1.3 bo.
>   o  Compile Xemacs 20.x from source with canna support
>      and then create a debian package.  Does this exist already?
>      If this is successful, attempt to compile with xim support
>      and use kinput2

No package yet, I don't know if it is worth it.  My XEmacs 20 is in
/usr/local and I upgrade often enough that I didn't want to go to the
trouble of packaging it.

>   o  Install kinput2 with Canna support from Debian-JP bo package
>   o  install fetchmail (will use IMAP) and Mew (hope to use it
>       with Xemacs) from Debian-JP.  Though, I will probably fail
>       to do this since Mew depends on a mule install, so I'm going
>       to have to force my package dependencies..  :-(

This will fail.  Mew would be installed in the wrong place.

The copy of XEmacs that I have doesn't include mew, so you would have
to install it by hand, not a big deal.  (I personally use Gnus - it
has a lot of features, and very, very good support on comp.emacs.gnus.)

>   o  compile Mosaic 2.6 with L10N localization patch from source
>      with lesstif.  I've done this and it works.  :-)  Create
>      debian package and install.

Wow! I would have guessed that lesstif was missing fringe features
like wide character sets...

>   o  compile Perl5.004 from source with Japanese patch and install

I'd suggest that you get the source to the perl5.004 package, extract
it, apply the patches and build a debian package with the Japanese
support.  BTW, what does the JP patch do?

>   o  install JDK 1.1.1 and adjust font.properties to support
>      Japanese.

Is there any way to override font.properties without root access?

>   o  take a nap

You might be happier if you moved this step up a little.  Also,
consider:

  Rebuild afterstep with Japanese patches

After all, you have to have Japanese properly displayed in your
titlebars.  :)

Also how about that script I promised you?  I'll attach it.

The attached script (assuming the mailing list doesn't munge MIME
messages) will take the wadalab fonts and generate the necessary
postscript fonts to print to ghostscript from Netscape. (It will also
generate the Fontmap file that ghostscript needs.)

It only generates the files (which take up 12MB) and prints
installation instructions when it is done.  The script will tell you
where to get the fonts.  (They are on your side of the ocean.)

Steve
dunham@example.com

(I gotta encode this, because it has long lines...)

script