Re: tlug: Hostname problems

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
On Fri, 23 May 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I'm not clear on what the problem is here.  Is 'tangrending'
> registered in a DNS somewhere?  Apparently not from the X-Sender
> header, which doesn't specify a parent domain.  Why do you want httpd
> and talk to recognize a domain that doesn't exist?  So you can do
> "netscape http://tangrending/" and "talk denismcm@example.com" on the
> local host?  What's wrong with "netscape http://localhost/" and "talk
> denismcm"?

tangrending:~/internet$ talk root@example.com
talk: tangrending: Host name lookup failure

tangrending:~/internet$ talk root
talk: tangrending: Host name lookup failure

  That's what's wrong.

> Aha ... there's an option to set the hosts file!  Maybe if you make an
> /etc/hosts with "127.0.0.1 localhost tangrending" in it and a file
> /etc/sendmail-hosts
>
> # set in sendmail.cf as O HostsFile /etc/sendmail-hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost

  Well, I tried this, and it does make 'talk', but 'sendmail' is broke!
It hangs for at least 60 seconds on boot, and then just plain can't be
contacted from e.g. Pine.

  Well, I need sendmail at lot more than I need 'talk', and of course
you're right about http://localhost working just fine.  So I think I'll
just give up for now.

  Thanks very much anyway, Steve.

Dennis McMurchy,