Re: tlug: XEmacs 20.0 XIM? not! [was: XEmacs 20.0 Wnn Input]

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Steve> Craig Oda <craig@example.com> writes:

    >> Hmm, since Linux does not have Motif, would this affect things?
    >> I know that things like Netscape don't support Japanese input,
    >> due to lack of the Motif text widget set.

    Steve> Umm, Linux does have Motif.  (I personally packaged SWiM
    Steve> Motif in the Debian format for a local company, and I own a
    Steve> copy of MetroLink Motif.)  Moreover, Netscape uses motif.

It's not free, and most people don't have it AFAIK.  There is LessTif
(maybe not ported to Linux, although I thought I saw a rumor
somewhere) as well as Moo-Tiff besides SWiM (which may be the same as
Moo-Tiff).  Since I know Craig has Moo-Tiff (at least I've seen him
holding the CD jewelcase), I think this is what he means.

Netscape uses statically linked Motif libs.  But it uses old versions,
for what reason I don't know.  (At least at 3.01 it was; it mentioned
problems with Motif 1.2.x with respect to X11R5.  Weirdness....)

    Steve> Also, w.r. XEmacs, I tried --with-xim=motif on Linux, and
    Steve> it still didn't work.  (I don't get crashes, but neither
    Steve> <Shift>Space nor <Ctrl>Kanji started kinput.)

I assume that you don't bind these to anything in .emacs, which would
shadow the input conversion meaning.  Also, in previous incarnations of
kinput2 and kterm, there was some hand-shaking to be done.  You needed
to set resources for both kinput2 and kterm; the keystroke set by
Kinput2*ConversionStartKeys seemed only to exit the input, the
keystroke set by KTerm*VT100.Translations started the input.  I don't
know how this is handled by XEmacs.

By the way, what versions of everything are you using at the moment?
I've got

    - XEmacs 20.2 (prerelease, as mentioned, but size and dates are
      the same as the release version)
    - kterm 6.2.0 (but I need to relink against the new Xlib, I think)
    - kinput2 v2 pl0
    - XFree86 3.2A (this is a beta)

With this configuration, I am now getting XEmacs almost to open the IM
server.  I don't get missing font errors, but there may be a bug in
that the Preedit and Status areas are size zero.  Anyway, kinput2 is
still freeing the IMContext, and XEmacs then proceeds to core dump on
the first keyboard input.

I'm currently planning on upgrading Kinput2 to pl3 ("patch" 3 was
400kB .tar.gz; that's an abuse of the word "patch" if you ask me), and
rebuilding kterm.  We'll see if that helps on my platform.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi