Re: tlug: PAP and CHAP

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
On Sun, 18 May 1997, Alan B. Stone wrote:

> I downloaded and installed ezppp today.  However, although it works
> great for my one ISP it still doesn't help me get connected to AT&T Net.
> The people at AT&T refuse to help me, since I am not running Windows 95.
> I could really use some help on getting my system set up to connect
> using the CHAP or PAP.

  It seems to me that your problem was that AT&T doesn't prompt for
your login or password (if I remember correctly).  Can this really be?
Does this make sense to anyone else?  I'm not any kind of expert, but
they've got to get your login and password (presumably in that order).
If they don't prompt for them, are they just expecting them to arrive.
Distasteful as I'm sure it is, have you looked at the
Windoze.for.95.Sheep instructions?  They're not just handing out some
proprietary black-box connect program, are they?  Can't you then send
them what they expect using 'chat'?

  Turn on the -v switch and point chat at their number, and see what
gets logged in the logfile (it's /var/adm/messages on a Slackware
system).  Chat -v is _really_ verbose.  It will log everything that
the other end sends down to your modem.  It's gotta send something,
doesn't it?  The chat manpage is exhaustively helpful, by the way.

  Obviously, their system runs on Unix, right?  Can't you get at some
of the engineers, who would be more likely to know the answer to your
questions than the little user-support robots?  Or call customer support
and tell them you're doing an article on their service for the
Abashiri Evening Advertiser - is it true they only provide support for
users of MS-DOG running on 8088s?  Surely you could shame them, or
embarrass them into being a little more human.

  If it turns out that you can connect without a login and password,
be sure and let me know, eh?

  Good luck.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka