tlug: Re: JDK1.1.1 core dump

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Leung Leung wrote:

> I can't run any awt related application and simply the appletviewer even
> without running any applets ...  dont know why ...
> Following is my installed fonts package (almost all in Slackware 3.1)
>
> x312f75, x312fcyr, x312fscl, fnt100, fntbig

William,
I'm having the same problem.  One reason I suspect it is the lack
of fonts is that if I delete the font.properties file in jdk1.1.1/lib
I can run the appletviewer and applications without core dumps.
However, I can't get any fonts.  This made me think that all I had
to do was install some additional fonts.  However, since you have
most of the fonts installed, I'm not sure if this is the reason for
the core dumps.

> >From the error message it dumped, it said it is related to the threads
> stuff. Originally I think it may be due to my newly installed libc5.4.23
> I fall back to libc5.2.18, but no hopes ...and I found that the java
> executable use its own libc5.0.so .....so ..

Here are my vital stats for my core dumping system:

linux kernel: 2.0.27
jdk 1.1.1
libc.so.5.4.23
ld.so.1.8.10
libXt.so.6.0
libX11.so.6.1

In general, X11R6 3.2

I suspect that the answer may be with the fonts, but I'm not
sure.  If anything works, I will let you know.

I am copying this to my local Tokyo Linux Users Group mailing list
since the topic of JDK 1.1.1 came up recently.

Regards,
Craig