Re: tlug: Strange clock problem finally solved!

tlug note from Jim Tittsler <jwt@example.com>
On Tue, May 13, 1997 at 02:26:40PM +0900, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
>   Well, sure enough, a little experimentation revealed that setting the
> time with the 'date' command does NOT affect the hardware clock at all.
> Once I reset the time in the bios setup routine, I found that this
> strange problem of losing greater and greater amounts of time has
> disappeared.

The 'clock' program (of the util-linux package) allows reading and
writing the real time clock chip.  You can use it to write the system
time into the RTC.

You can use the xntp3 tools to set the clock every time you make an
internet connection if you like, and use 'clock' to set the RTC so it
will be close next time you boot.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  http://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~jwt/