tlug: Odd problems with Sendmail

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
  Hi,

  Forgive a question that is not really Lignux specific.  Sendmail
seems to be acting up on me (after long faithful service).  Instead
of just sending the mail out expeditiously the way it always has,
it seems to hang up and take forever to send things now and then.

  The following three runs of ps were about a minute apart:

chinatown:~/internet$ ps -ax | grep sendmail
   70  ?  S     0:00 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25
  219  p1 S     0:00 sendmail: NAA00222 sun4a.do-johodai.ac.jp.: user open
  221  p1 S     0:00 grep sendmail

chinatown:~/internet$ ps -ax | grep sendmail
   70  ?  S     0:00 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25
  201   4 S     0:00 sendmail: NAA00222 sun4a.do-johodai.ac.jp.: client greeting
  209  p1 S     0:00 grep sendmail

chinatown:~/internet$ ps -ax | grep sendmail
   70  ?  S     0:00 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25
  219  p1 S     0:00 sendmail: NAA00222 sun4a.do-johodai.ac.jp.: client MAIL
  227  p1 S     0:00 grep sendmail

  A little later, there was the same excruciatingly slow transmission of
another piece, but then, even after the mailqueue was empty I continued
to see this, until I killed the sendmail process manually:

chinatown:~/internet$ ps -ax | grep sendmail
   70  ?  S     0:00 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25
  219  p1 S     0:00 sendmail: NAA00213 turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp.: client DATA
  258  p1 S     0:00 grep sendmail

  I think all these problems, come to think of it, are occuring only with
.ac.jp addresses, but this is something new.  What is going on?

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka