Re: tlug: Wnn

tlug note from Jason Molenda <crash@example.com>
Stephen T wrote:

> The main operational thing to watch out for with SKK (at least the
> vintage 1992 version) is that it doesn't parse long phrases; you need
> to do the conversions as soon as you have the yomi completed.  (It's a
> Single Kanji from Kana converter, you see.)

Right, it's a word-at-a-type setup.  The way I use it to input
something like "nihongo ha hanasemasen" is
"Nihongo<space>haHanaSemasen".  An upper-case letter lets SKK know that
you're starting a kanji word; a space character sez that it should
henkan what you just input as a kanji, another upper-case letter lets
it know that you've input a verb/adjective type thing.  As soon as I
input "HanaS" it will give me the most likely kanji I wanted; if it
isn't the correct one, I'll have to select from some menus.

The coolest part (IMHO) is for gairaigo I can input stuff like
KONPYU-TA by typing "/computer<space>".

It keeps a local dictionary ($HOME/.skk I think) which stores all of
the henkan choices you've made to-date.  This allows it to show
preferences for particular kanji you tend to use, plus SKK defers
have in your $HOME/.skk dictionary.

I'm using SKK v8.6, came out some time in 1996.

--------

Anyway, I'll take a look at Quail.  After eight years, I've finally
realized that I can't continue to use vi/elm for my mail processing
without adding a lot of hacky customization.  I'm looking around at
other mail systems, and it looks like it's coming down to either Mutt
or Gnus.  (Mutt has no connection to emacs.  Gnus does.)

I asked around my company (which has a lot of emacs users) and Gnus
seems to be wildly popular for reading mail.  In fact, it was the only
emacs MUA which people advocated.  I'm digging through the docs to see
if it can do everything I want right now. :)

Jason/may-end-up-using-that-nasty-emacs-thing-yet