Re: tlug: [Q] creating mailing list archives

tlug note from Steve Dunham <dunham@example.com>
Steve Dunham <dunham@example.com> writes:

> "Alan B. Stone" <stoneab@example.com> writes:
>
> > I have a problem I hope someone can help me with.  I have two ISP
> > accounts.  One has a regular start-up whereby it prompts me for login
> > and password, no problem with that one.  However, I recently got an AT&T
> > account which works fine for my wife's Mac, but when I try to log on, it
> > does not prompt me for login or password.  I have read some on the uses
> > of PAP and CHAP, but am a little confused how I can implement that with
> > the Red Hat 4.1 PPP configuration control-panel.  Could someone help me
> > out?  I'd really like to get onto the AT&T account since it's much
> > faster.  Thanks.
>
> The password is kept in a configuration file, something like att.sr, I
> forget the exact filename (not the eudora configuration file).  It is
> plaintext (but looks like it was randomly generated).

I spoke a bit too fast.  This is how it works on Windows.  Anyways,
there *is* a password somewhere.  I don't know the Mac, but I suggest
you look around in control panels and configuration files with
whatever utilities you have.  You might also try asking on USENET.

Steve
dunham@example.com