Re: tlug: PAP and CHAP

> TLUG page last night, and wanted to be able to talk to other Linux users
> here in Japan.

Welcome to the group.  I hope you can make it to one of our nerd
lunches/meetings.

> does not prompt me for login or password.  I have read some on the uses
> of PAP and CHAP, but am a little confused how I can implement that with
> the Red Hat 4.1 PPP configuration control-panel.  Could someone help me

I confess, I've not tried it using the control-panel, but it is straight-
forward to do with a text editor following the steps in section 13 of the
PPP HOWTO.

Just create/edit /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and/or /etc/ppp/pap-secrets as
appropriate, containing your user-ID, the name of the server (* works
as a wildcard) and your password.  (Obviously, be careful with the
permissions on these files. :-)

For example, the simple case /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file looks like:
# Secrets for authentication using PAP (/etc/ppp/pap-secrets)
# client   server   secret        IP addresses
jwt        *        YoureKidding