Re: tlug: [Q] creating mailing list archives

tlug note from "Alan B. Stone" <stoneab@example.com>
> >      * sort the individual mail list files by date, deleting duplicate
> >        msgs
>
> There are a variety of tools that could handle this.  The one that I
> would suggest is procmail.  Procmail is a *highly* configurable mail
> filtering program.  It is includes a small tool called 'formail' that
> is capable of taking your giant mailboxes, splitting them back into
> single messages, and feeding each of those to procmail.  formail
> can also keep a list of the most recent message IDs that it has seen
> so that you can filter out duplicates as they go past procmail.
> Examples of both of these applications are in the procmail and formail
> manual pages.  There is a brief FAQ available at
>   http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/
> Version 3.10 is available in RPM format wherever fine RedHat software
> is archived.  The latest version is 3.11pre6 (but 3.10 should work
> fine in your application).
>
> >      * split each mailing list file into chunks of 100K or so
>
> That you can do after you've sorted them.
>
> --
> Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  http://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~jwt/

> Public-Access Internet System.  Now offering 20,000 yen/year flat
> rate Internet access with no time charges.  Full line of corporate
> Internet and intranet products are available.   info@example.com
> Tel: 03-3351-5977   Fax: 03-3353-6096

Hi,

My name is Alan Stone.  I'm new to the mailing list.  I ran across the
TLUG page last night, and wanted to be able to talk to other Linux users
here in Japan.

I have a problem I hope someone can help me with.  I have two ISP
accounts.  One has a regular start-up whereby it prompts me for login
and password, no problem with that one.  However, I recently got an AT&T
account which works fine for my wife's Mac, but when I try to log on, it
does not prompt me for login or password.  I have read some on the uses
of PAP and CHAP, but am a little confused how I can implement that with
the Red Hat 4.1 PPP configuration control-panel.  Could someone help me
out?  I'd really like to get onto the AT&T account since it's much
faster.  Thanks.

Alan