Re: tlug: Japanese Email in emacs

tlug note from Tim Meggs <tim@example.com>
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Japanese Email in emacs
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 19:24:58 +0900

>     Tim> MEW creates an index and is very fast even with very large
>     Tim> mailboxes - although takes a little longer to start up and
>     Tim> MUCH longer when it is first creating the index(s).
>
> Maybe I'll check it out when I have some time.  Do you happen to know
> what its mailbox format is?   I gather it uses file-per-message, but
> does it do any other silly stuff?  Eg, MH adds "Forwarded: " and
> such-like to the headers to keep track.  That's OK, but if it does too
> much stuff (like old Emacs RMail with its complete duplication of the
> "keep" headers and other "Babyl format" junk), it loses some of its
> usefulness.

As far as I can see it adds nothing to the original messages when you
reply/forward/etc them.    Actually I sort of miss the way mh would tag the
messages as having been replied/forwarded/printed etc, I guess there
would be some way to achieve the same with mew.   But I'm not that advanced
of a user.... or maybe just too lazy.

> ftp://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/pub/linux/packages/Mail/mew-0.98.tar.gz
>
> Old, obviously, but it's one place to start.

Thanks.   Actually I just moved offices and my main-web-surfer-machine hasn't
been registered with the proxy yet :(  But just did a ArchiePlex on another
machine and found 1.06 at:

ftp://ftp.meiji.ac.jp/pub/mail/mew/mew-1.06.tar.gz

tim :)