Re: tlug: Linux as network print spooler

tlug note from Jens Rasmussen <jens@example.com>
On Tue, 6 May 1997, Craig Oda wrote:

> tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
> Hi,
> I'm trying to configure Linux as a network print spooler for
> UNIX machines.  Linux prints fine to the printer, which is
> a BSD print spooler.  I want to spool it to Linux because
> I have Japanese printing capability on Linux thanks to
> psconv, nkf, gs, vflib, and the zeit fonts.  Do I need to
> be running a daemon other than lpd?  I've added the machines
> to my /etc/hosts.lpd file.  However, I still can't print
> from the other UNIX machines.
>
> I've configured the networking printing on the UNIX machines
> as best as I could.  My main question is whether I need to
> be running a daemon like lpsched on Linux in order to receive
> remote printing requests.

Craig:
There's no need to run other daemons than lpd. What about your
/etc/printcap?. A typical remote printer entry looks like:

ljet4|laserjet:lp=:rm=name-of-your-printing-machine:sd=/usr/spool/ljet4:

This allows you to print from your client machine with the command:

lpr -Pljet4 print-file

You also have to create the spooling directory as descriped in printcap
with the sd=spooling-directory (don't forget to set the
correct permissions). That's all.

Hope that helps,
jens.

Jens C. Rasmussen                       jens@example.com