Re: tlug: Japanese Email in emacs

tlug note from Tim Meggs <tim@example.com>
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: "Andrew S. Howell": Japanese Email in emacs
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:48:40 +0900

>     Andrew> Can anyone recomend an email package to use with emacs
>     Andrew> that supports Japanese and Mime?
>
>     Andrew> I been using mh-mail and its companion in emacs for a long
>     Andrew> time. It is suppposed to work with Japanese (patched), but

I too had been using mh-mail (MH 6.8.JP2c) from within emacs/mule for along
time.   But a year or so back changed to using MEW (Message interface to Emacs
Window) - very similar to mh-mail, except for some of the kybd mappings :/

>     Andrew> File-per-message wastes disk space

Personally, I rather like the file-per-message method.

>     Andrew> Very slow when folder contain 100+ messages

mh-mail does get very slow when your mail box grows in size.   MEW creates an
index and is very fast even with very large mailboxes - although takes a
little longer to start up and MUCH longer when it is first creating the
index(s).    We started with MEW 0.91, or something and never had any major
problems - now we are on 1.06.    The only complaint I have is that it handles
large mailboxes 'too well' and doesn't force me to go and prune them back to
size like mh-mail did with its slowness :), YMMV.

The current set up I have is: Mew version 1.06 on Emacs 19.28.1, Mule 2.3

Sorry I don't know much more about it, I just use it - one of the other
guys here set it all up - I think it was written by Kazuhiko Yamamoto in
Nara(?), but don't have any URLs, etc.   But I do want to set up that same
environment on my home Linux system someday - so guess i'd better start
learning soon.

tim :)