Re: tlug: Red Hat Alpha

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Yuri> remember that somebody used Linux on Alpha. I cannot install
    Yuri> Red Hat 4.1 for some reasons after the first reboot it takes

Try a different distribution.  I have had lots of problems installing
all Linux distributions (SLS - what a fright!, Slackware, RedHat, and
Debian), and RedHat is by far the hardest to fix (except for SLS which
was just plain broken on my system; never got it to boot the hard
drive).  Once you're up and running, I _like_ Debian but really I
think it's probably 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Our tech staff is trying to install RedHat on a Gateway P6 preloaded
with Win 95 and having a devil of a time.  But the guy who's
responsible is not a Linux person, nor fluent in English, so it's
likely not RedHat's fault.  Still....

    Yuri> forever to load daemons and services - about 10 minutes to
    Yuri> load sendmail and for the last 20 minutes system is trying
    Yuri> to determine ServerName. It can't be normal for 433 MHz

These sound like timeouts to me.  Either your DNS handling or sendmail
(I agree with Andy) is a problem, maybe both.

    Yuri> Alpha with 64 Mb of RAM. The same thing happening with the
    Yuri> second machine (NT runs perfectly on both of

I should hope so.  :-)

    Yuri> wrong in my life?  Yuri

a) You loaded a Microsoft product on a machine God intended to run Linux.
b) You used the wrong distribution.  :-)

    Andy> I had a problem with sendmail on sparc as well. In the end I
    Andy> just disabled it. As I remember, the machine went out into
    Andy> never-never-land, trying to do a dns lookup, I think. Knock
    Andy> sendmail on the head, and you may be ok...

I have _never_ had a problem with smail.  YMMV.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi