Re: tlug: core

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Jim> On 7 Feb 97 at 17:37, Totoro wrote:
    >> >For instance, what is the file 'core' doing (and growing by
    >> >leaps and bounds) in the root directory.

    >> It's a text file that your system is writing for you to tell
    >> you about program dumps and crashes.

    Jim> Only a small part of it is text. 98% looks like binary stuff.

The 'text' here refers to the fact that it is a verbatim copy of what
was in core (ie, the program's allocated RAM) when the program decided
to bite the big one.  The file doesn't grow, it gets overwritten every
time a program receives a fatal error.

To find out what happened to cause it, type 'gdb -c core'; the GNU
debugger will start up, copy the file into program space, and give you
a message explaining where the program bit it.  Then you can debug it
as if it was program you had run from scratch.

    Jim> Oh well, I removed it with no core-esponding difficulties;-)

Nope; only the program's ghost in heaven cares what happens to its
earthly remains.  And they're only virtual in any case :-)

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi