Re: tlug: Parallel Port Ethernet Adapter Source?

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    John> I just want to be able to transfer files between the laptop
    John> and my print server without using a floppy (it turns out
    John> that the Dynabook won't even boot when an ethernet card is
    John> plugged into the PCMCIA slot :-( ).

Huh?  I thought avoiding that kinda dreck was what PCMCIA (and
standards in general) were all about.  How "old" is this Dynabook?
Oh, I see, you DON'T have a PCMCIA slot, you have a JEIDA slot!

Does anybody know any other caveats about Toshibas?  A student asked
me for information on notebooks.  She can't afford "export" prices, at
least not if she wants to get decent MIPS/$$$.  She only wants to run
DOS/Windows/Windows 95, but if the internals are that mucky still, I
wouldn't bet on US versions running properly!  Oh, by the way, she's
returning to Kazakhstan in April so I suspect that she won't have
access to high-level hardware support services....

The "old" days when every Japanese manufacturer had a different floppy
format and their 3.5" floppy drives would only read/write 1.2MB are
looking better all the time; you weren't surprised by
incompatibilities....

Humph.  Now I now why the camel looks so funny and has such a sour
disposition; he had to deal with Japanese "standards"!  (Read your
Kipling....)

Ciao.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi