Re: Who needs ISDN?

    >> Maybe you do; maybe I don't.  Gotta support your family, you
    >> know.  (Note the original sender :-) Check this out!

    Craig> In Japan, the costs of installing and using ISDN are
    Craig> roughly the same as for an analog.

_Thank God_ for abusive monopolies and supine regulators!!!!

Of course, you're absolutely right.  There are advantages.  The issue
is _need_.  I don't _need_ it.  Also, in my case :-), the discipline
of having to give up the line so my wife can make phone calls is a
GoodThang[tm].

    Craig> In Japan, I don't see any advantage to using legacy analog
    Craig> lines.

Ah, but I have one and it works.

You see, I don't live in _Japan_, I live in _Tsukuba_.  The last time
I had the local NTT install a new phone line, they destroyed the wall
plate (the "technician" couldn't tell the difference between wood
screws and bolts) and never did get around to fixing it.  (Well, I
gave them 3 days---Tuesday to Friday---and then bought the parts and
fixed it myself.  NTT was horrified when I notified them that I didn't
need their "service" after all.  Fortunately, the operator had no idea
what I mean when I muttered "'Sorry' don't shine my shoes"....)

And that was after a wait of four weeks for the installer to show up.

In Tsukuba, if it ain't broke, only a complete masochist would dream
of letting NTT fix it.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi