Re: Laptops n'stuff

>% running on my elderly 20 MHz 386DX.  This machine handles incoming
>% fax and data calls, and serves as my IP masquerading router to the

>   It sounds as though we have similar ideas again. :-) Your setup
>   sounds like what I'd like to do. Basically, I'd like to be able to
>   dial into my home net from work, but obviously not on a dedicated
>   line.  Could you give me a few pointers on the setup for silent
>   answer, please?

Sorry, the "silent answer" part of your first query didn't click.  I took
the easy way out and got a second line which is dedicated to my fax/data
use.  (I keep thinking I should convert the two analog lines to an ISDN
line, but have been quite successful at procrastinating in making that
move.)

I would *guess* that you could have your mgetty configuration look for
an additional magic string that identifies the call type and synthesize
a local ring signal for a voice call... but its only a guess.

Sorry I missed the point of your original question.

Jim