RE: Applixware

Actually we were running a full Japanese version of applix on an English
SunOS machine.  If I recall this
required me to install the fonts (all supplied by K.K. Asushita) and
when a user started the process there was another front end process for
the kana/kanji from English keyboard.  It seemed to work pretty well but
I'm pretty sure there was another version as well which was built for
Japanese OS.

As for the software, it seemed to have half decent filters for the older
microsoft equivalents but I only tried it for english documents.  Don't
know how well the Japanese filters work.