Re: /dev/printer

    Craig> Hi, on a working Linux machine I have

    Craig> niji:/dev$ ls -l printer
    Craig> srwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            0 Dec  3 14:58 printer=

    Craig> On a non-functional Linux machine I have:

    Craig> [root@example.com /dev]# ls -l printer
    Craig> ls: printer: No such file or directory

    Craig> Does anyone know the proper command to create the printer device?

/usr/sbin/lpd ;-) I don't have the source code available, and couldn't
figure out how to identify the (process) owner of /dev/printer, but
that is a socket (ls -l shows file type 's', or use 'file
/dev/printer'), presumably the one that lpd creates to listen on port
"printer".  Note that 'strings /usr/sbin/lpd' produces:

/var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock
%s: %m
/dev/printer                    <---- lookee, lookee!
socket: %m
ubind: %m

Note also that the location of the lpd.lock file is apparently
hard-coded.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi