cnprint does a nice job with Japanese

  Hi all,

  Well I did get around to trying the cnprint program that Craig mentioned
yesterday.  I got quite side-tracked as I was picking up the necessary
fonts at ifcss.org.  There is, for example, a Chinese Linux site there,
     http://www.ifcss.org/software/cnapps/linux.html
which, among other things has an enormous (16 Mbytes) X-Window DTP system
for Chinese in a Linux version (And now I know that 六書 X 視窓 is what
we know and love as X11R6 ).

  Anyhow, cnprint does a fine job of printing Japanese.  The kanji48
font looks a lot better than the jiskan24, of course.  I can hardly believe
that this is the first Japanese that has come out of my printer under
Linux, but it is a fact.  At long last!  (I did get mule's m2ps to print
Arabic once, but never finished getting all the other fonts set up in the
strange place that m2ps looks for them).

  Ironically, I can't seem to get cnprint to print Chinese GB or Big5,
which it was originally designed for.  It just gives me little black
squares where the hanzi should be.

  Anyhow, cnprint could be the answer for some of you.  It compiles very
cleanly and is relatively easy to use.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka