Re: edict and mule delta

I'm copying TLUG so this information will (hopefully) not get
duplicated....

    DW> situlei simasu.

Tondemonai.

    DW> I have just found the edict interface to emacs and tried it
    DW> with the mule delta.  I don't know if I have some thing
    DW> misconfigured but it seems that the euc code is not being
    DW> converted to a display font.  Someone reading my post to the
    DW> mule list (mule@example.com) suggested that there are people who
    DW> have seen this problem here?

Um, what's your platform?  Hardware, OS, window system, etc, and full
version information on Mule might be useful (M-X "emacs-version" RET,
M-X "mule-version" RET).

Nobody here is seeing that kind of problem with edict.el---here, it
just plain doesn't work :-) (see below).

There should be no need for any special conversion of the kind you
discuss to be done on the Edict files.  My mule ("Mule Version 2.3
(SUETSUMUHANA) of 1995.7.24" over "GNU Emacs 19.28.1
(i486-AMI_Enterprise_III-linux) of Wed May 8 1996 on turnbull") does
not balk at editing "edict" itself (well, it takes a few seconds to
load, but that's not very stubborn for a mule).  Using jconv on it
will break most other software, in particular xjdic.  I'm not sure
what you mean by "elisp files' escaped characters" either.  If you
mean edict.el itself, again, I have no trouble on my mule.  If you
mean the byte-compiled versions (".elc"), then there is going to be
big trouble....  It sounds to me like you have serious problems with
your mule configuration, and should bounce it back to that list,
especially if you can find the same problem with other files or
packages.

First try reading "edict" as a file (C-X C-F "edict" RET), and do
the same with edict.el.  If those don't work, you have mule problems,
not edict problems.

If that works and switching to the *edict* buffer after loading the
edict package is the only time you have problems, that's either
because your environment is too small (with edict loaded and not much
else mule is consuming nearly 8MB) or because edict.el itself (as
found at ftp.cc.monash.edu.au) is just plain broken in its current
state.  It cannot be compiled correctly under mule, at least not under
mine.  I could load but not use it in its native state (edict.el) (I
think the buffer was readable, but don't remember for sure), but
managed to compile it by disabling most of the grammar parsing and
removing the Common Lisp hacks that were added.  (The problems with
the package stem from being heavily augmented by a person mostly
familiar with Common Lisp who wrote a bunch of hacks to emulate Common
Lisp features under Emacs 18.)  The package did work under
Nemacs/Emacs 18.59....

The Common Lisp hacker can't be located; the original author is busy
writing a dissertation and has disclaimed interest in it at this time.
I personally plan to do something with it, but it won't happen soon as
massive work needs to be done.

    DW> I appreciate any help.

xjdic is a GoodThang, but not Emacs-oriented (needs C compiler):
	ftp://ftp.cc.monash.edu.au/pub/nihongo/xjdic22.tar.gz
trans.el + locate by Jeff Friedl (needs Perl, maybe Perl 5):
      ftp://ftp.cc.monash.edu.au/pub/nihongo/lookup_v1.01_tar.gz

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi