Re: How to crash an operating system...

    Dennis>   Hi all, Some of you will probably be interested in this:
[snip]
    Dennis> The ping o'death page : " How to crash your operating
    Dennis> system " http://www.sophist.demon.co.uk/ping/

[snip]

    Dennis>   The plug-lister was able to crash a Linux 2.0.22 kernel,
    Dennis> but not a 2.0.26 kernel (which is apparently the most
    Dennis> recent).

In case it's unclear to others (it was to me until I read the page),
this bug *has been fixed* in Linux since 2.0.24.  Apparently the only
"stock" systems capable of sending such a ping were Windows NT and 95
(Linux, for example, would refuse to do so unless you play with the
low-level IP functions); but this made the *sender* crash too ;-) Way
to go, Bill!

One good reason for "keeping up with the Torvaldses," eh, Dennis?

Steve