Re: Upgrade to 2.0 the 'painless' way

    Dennis>   The Java Development Kit seems to be more reliable under
    Dennis> 2.0 (used to sometimes hangup while running an applet in
    Dennis> the background), but I've noticed that Netscape 3.0 has a
    Dennis> real problem running java apps on my machine now.  It was
    Dennis> always rock-stable, but now regularly (not always) goes
    Dennis> poof when running a java app.  Is anyone else having this
    Dennis> problem or know why I am?

I found that this went away when I upgraded to kernel 2.0.20.

    Dennis>   Final question: are there any real advantages to
    Dennis> grabbing one of the latest 2.x kernels for those of us who
    Dennis> don't care at all whether we are on the bleeding edge or
    Dennis> not?

Besides the ones the Craig already mentioned, they do contain bug
fixes.  In fact that's all the 2.0.x series is supposed to contain.
So they don't break what was already fixed as often as 2.1.x will.
It's unlikely that you will run into incompatibilities as such once
you've installed the 2.0.x series, although there may be
incompatibilties due to buggy implementations.  So I generally
recommend keeping up with the 2.0.x series; maybe once a month you
should check and see what the latest is and how long it's been out.
If it's not been out for several weeks, maybe ask on the list.

The 2.1.x series is bleeding edge, and you *will* eventually bleed if
you stay up with it.  The only reason I can think of that you would
want to go to 2.1.x (given your statement of interests) is if it
either allowed new hardware (that Vosaic card, for example) to work,
or added a capability that made something either efficient enough to
be usable or more stable.

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi