Re: Upgrade to 2.0 the 'painless' way

>  The Java Development Kit seems to be more reliable under 2.0 (used to
> sometimes hangup while running an applet in the background), but I've
> noticed that Netscape 3.0 has a real problem running java apps on my
> machine now.  It was always rock-stable, but now regularly (not always)
> goes poof when running a java app.  Is anyone else having this
> problem or know why I am?

incompatibility between C libs and Netscape 3.0.  There is a
kludge to get around it:

[root@example.com netscape]# cat netscape.sh
#!/bin/sh
export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
export LD_PRELOAD="/usr/local/netscape/liblocale.so:/lib/libc.so.5.2.18"
exec /usr/local/bin/netscape

***** NOTE  *****

I'm loading a hacked liblocale.so also to get Japanese input and
proper support in forms for Japanese.  If you didn't modify
the libs for Japanese support in Netscape, you shouldn't load
the liblocale.so

I changed my fvwm good stuff and pop-up menu to execute
netscape.sh

I may have aliased also aliased it on the command line.

I'm having good results with Java, Javascript, RealAudio,
Adobe Acrobat, Japanese cut and paste from and to Netscape,
Japanese display in forms and buttons...  Using Netscape 3.0

>  Final question: are there any real advantages to grabbing one of the
> latest 2.x kernels for those of us who don't care at all whether we are
> on the bleeding edge or not?

Faster, mainly due to better use of disk swap.  Better chance of
compatibility with new Linux packages.  Less embarassing when you
go to a TLUG meeting and JWT asks you what kernel version you
are running and if you are only using a single processor type
to run Linux.  ;-)