Re: Programmers: need motif help in Japanese

    Gaspar> Hi, I complied X11 with X_LOCALE and I succeeded to
    Gaspar> compile several programs that use Xaw and Xt. But motif
    Gaspar> (Moo-Tiff) 2.0 and caldera 1.2 does not seem to like me.

    Gaspar> They can display Japanese in a label O.K. but when I
    Gaspar> create a text widget they all die a disgraceful death:

    Gaspar> #0  handler (...) at multifont.c:102
    Gaspar> #1  0x4026710a in _XError ()
    Gaspar> #2  0x40265a70 in _XReply ()
    Gaspar> #3  0x402624ff in XSync ()
    Gaspar> #4  0x40100396 in _XmImRealize ()

Looks to me like you're pretty deep into Xlib at that point, and in
the input method code to boot.  So I would guess that it's not Motif
or Caldera, but that you didn't get the input method stuff compiled
right when you rebuilt Xlib.  However, since Motif was probably not
built with locale support (if it had been, I would think that Moo-Tiff
would have come with a libX11 that supported locales, don't you?)

This is obviously not a trivial area to work in.  Neither Netscape nor
Mosaic has ever gotten this right as far as I know....

The other possible issue is that I don't know how good Linux's support
for locales is.  There's a lot more to it than simply defining
LANG=ja_JP....  If the OS doesn't have the locale support right, you
can't really expect X to get it right either.

I think you had best ask your vendors, and then if you get no joy, try
comp.windows.x.i386, and the equivalent fj.* newsgroup.

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi