Re: CDROM writer under Linux

    Jim> P.S.  Steve, Did you get your MO drive going?  With their
    Jim> prices dropping and the low cost of media, they are looking
    Jim> more tempting.

It's sort of working.  I'm pretty sure the problem is that the version
of the ext2-fs that I'm running right now does not properly support
removable media.  I have lost no data (except that for some reason the
FS happily accepted 245 MB of writes to a 230MB disk; but I think that
can happen on any medium), but I still have problems with the
partition table and cached directories not getting flushed when I
change disks.  If I try to mount the drive with no disk present, this
usually does the trick.

This may or may not be Fujitsu M2512A and/or AMI SCSI-controller
specific.  I haven't tried other brands.

Even if I have to reboot to clear the file system cache, it's more
convenient than the floppy tape I used to use which never really
worked right, and had to be formatted under DOS or bought preformatted
at much higher prices.

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi