Re: Fax software

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

> I use hylafax quite a bit. From home, I send out ~100 faxes a week. At
> work, 10-20 a week. The latest version 4.0pl0, installs fairly
> smoothly. I don't use it for incoming faxes, so I'm not sure about
> that. If give it a go again, and still have problems, give me a yell.

  I would love to get this going, but, here's the story: the binary
( hylafax-i386-linux-v4.0pl0-1.tar.gz ) installs very easily - just
unpack it.  However, all the executables seem to have library problems
on my system (standard Slackware 3.0 on Intel Pentium).  Here's an
example:

/home/denisbin$ ldd /usr/local/bin/sendfax
        libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5.0.5
        libg++.so.27 => not found
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.18

  This libg++.so.27 is not to be found anywhere I've looked.  It's not
on my CDROMs (a newer and older Infomagic set), it's not on sunsite and
it's not at tsx-11.  And it's not the same as the libg++.so.2.7.0 on my
system (I know because I've tried a symbolic link).  So how do I solve
this problem?  By compiling the source, right?

  Right.  That brings a whole slew of other problems. (You may be amused
to know that the configuration step of the compile produces this message:
YOW!!  Did something bad happen or am I on a i586-unknown-linux system?)
Interestingly, the HylaFAX documentation of the source build makes this
recommendation:

	Versions of gcc prior to 2.6.1 will not correctly build this
	software; gcc 2.6.3 and libg++ 2.6.2 are the recommended
	versions of the GNU tools to use though later versions work
	also.

  Does this mean if I grab '1533475 Aug  3  1995 libg++-2.6.2.tar.gz'
from sunsite, I can get this to work?  Somehow, I doubt it.

  If hylafax 4.0p10 works for you, Andy, why?  How?  What is your
library situation.  Could you post an ls of your /usr/lib/libg++* ?

  Meanwhile, I'm looking at efax again, since Craig recommends it as
running 'out of the box'.  I seem to remember a different experience
with it, but that was quite some time ago...

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka