Re: Fax software

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

denismcm>  Anybody else had better luck?  This looks like it's worth a little hassle
denismcm>(if necessary) to get going.  But I'm open to alternate suggestions too.

efax works right out of the box.  It is simple, but for a single
user it is sufficient.  I can fax text or PostScript.  Graphics
and fonts come out nicely.  Receiving is okay, though HylaFax is
better for a multi user system.  However, for office use, I've
found that simply distributing faxes by hand seems to work okay.

I use efax as a single-user fax client.  I've tried to right an
interface for multiple users for the office.  The problem is that
the user requires root privilege to access the serial port.  I
suspose there is a way around it.  However, I kind of gave up
when I couldn't get documents that other people wrote in
MS Word saved to PostScript in a form that I could fax out.

I use it to fax out letters, contract drafts, brochures and
stuff from machine in the office.  I usually write stuff in
LaTeX if I need to insert graphics or SGML if it is just
text stuff.  Since both of these output PostScript, I'm
pretty happy with the setup.

Actually, it works so good that want to set up something so
staff members can preview a document in HTML using Netscape
then press a button that runs a cgi to either convert the
doc to PS on the fly or fax out a previously archived
PS doc.  Getting faxes are not a priority right now since
we'll probably continue to use the normal fax machine.

When I tried to set up the system before, I tried to move
to HylaFax, but ran into problems.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452