Re: Netscape 3.0 and Java

    Craig> Netscape 3.0 has a bug which prevents the use of Java with
    Craig> the newer C libs.

Is this why Netscrap kept crashing when I was visiting NSCA a couple
of months back?  What exactly are the symptoms?  I can't replicate the
crashes at NSCA right now, they don't seem to be using Java on their
Index pages any more.

    Craig> 2) find some old C libs on your machine

Well, no; I had a big cleanup day a few months ago.  Had to go to

     file://ftp.lib.kdd.co.jp/Linux/GCC/libc.so.5.0.9.bin.tar.gz

Warning!  Don't just untar that sucker, you'll overwrite everything.
Ask for libc.so.5.0.9 by name...:

 (su; cd /; tar xzf .../libc.so.5.0.9.bin.tar.gz ./lib/libc.so.5.0.9)

    Craig> 4) make a trivial shell script to load lib for Netscape
    Craig> niji:/usr/local/lib/netscape# cat netscape.sh
    Craig> #!/bin/sh
    Craig> libdir=/usr/local/lib/netscape
    Craig> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$libdir; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    Craig> exec /usr/local/bin/netscape

function () netscape {
  echo "This is a kludge shell function to workaround a Netscape bug."
  echo "When you upgrade Netscape, remember to check if the bug has been"
  echo "fixed so you can junk this function."
  sleep 5s
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/netscape /usr/local/bin/netscape
}

in .bashrc is more elegant.  :-)  I believe this works (Netscape runs)
but I don't know how to reproduce the bug so I'm not sure the library
is being found properly.

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi